Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday fixations

I've been looking for nice ramekins forever and I finally found some simple white mismatched ones that I think will do the job perfectly. They're all oven safe and I especially love their little glass handles. They're going to be so useful for making individual portions of desserts or french onion soup or for keeping saganaki warm in the oven after frying. The possibilities are endless! I'm a bit sad I wasn't able to find whole sets in any one style, but that's a small price to pay when they were all 99 cents each!


I loved these bottles mostly because of the attached stoppers, but each is really special in its own way. The green glass bottle has a cow and the word 'milk' embossed on it, the printed one has the best colours, and I went for the brown bottle because the ceramic printed stopper is really unique. I'm pretty sure I should be able to find new rubber for the stoppers somewhere, but I feel like it might be a bit of a search.

I also found some embossed glass measuring cups that are specifically for dry ingredients. I have a real thing for old measuring cups. Like, can you really ever have too many?

I loved the shape and the detail on this mirror, but I'm so not digging the colour. Expect a DIY!

current fixations

{skinny jeans and dresses} Yes! I found skinny jeans I actually like! I was really starting to think it wouldn't be possible! Now that I have them, I've been experimenting with a lot of different tops, and I had the idea to try pairing them with some of the dresses I've never worn out. There's nothing wrong with those dresses, I've just always felt like they were a bit too short to wear alone. As it turned out, I thought they looked so cute together, I kinda want to wear that ensemble all the time now. I just have to find some cute shoes!

{glasses} I don't have a strong prescription (thank god), so I probably could get away with wearing them less than I do, but I love the look of glasses too much not to capitalize on the fact that I can wear them. In fact, when I was younger, before I started wearing glasses, I always used to sneak mom's on and model them in a mirror. It's been a while since I got a new pair, and I'm probably due for an update (the jeans inspire, doncha know). I've been hearing about Warby Parker on so many other blogs and I really like their Zagg, Nedwin, Emersen, and Crandall styles.

{finetti} We found this Nutella knock-off (?) at Hellas Foods and thought we'd give it a try. It's cheaper than Nutella and just as delicious. I think it tastes exactly like a Ferrero Rocher and I love (love) the packaging (gah. I'm such a packaging whore).











{acorn squash} I've never tasted one in my life, but as part of my fall decor, I bought a small one a couple weeks ago. I thought I'd roast it up this weekend, and I was suprised at how good it was! I liked it so much more than the butternut. All you have to do is slice it up, sprinkle some salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of brown sugar on it, and roast it in the oven at 400 in 10 minute intervals (turning the slices over each time) for 20-30 minutes (or follow this Martha recipe, even though they used a ton more sugar than my light sprinkle). Delish!

{brownies} Thankfully, for now, I only have brownies on the brain and not in the mouth. Here are some recipes I've bookmarked lately: whole grain, supernatural, salted, and nutella (maybe I should make these with Finetti!).

{dark moody colours} When I was in Red Deer last week, mom had a lot to show me. One of them was the dining room. It used to be a terracotta-style orange, but she wasn't completely happy with it so she repainted it a dark eggplant purple. I've never seen (almost) black walls in person. I've only ever seen them in pictures. Those pictures were amazing, but I've always wondered if it would work in the real world. Well, it actually works quite fantastically. It didn't feel dark or closed in at all. Surprisingly, what really popped was a dark wood china cabinet. It stood out more than her white table or white curtains, and the darker wall colour almost complimented the wood and highlighted the wood grain. It was really beautiful. The only critique I had was that I wished it were actually black and not eggplant purple. I wanted it darker!

{stylish Halloween decor} Even though I don't really consider Halloween to be a holiday, I'm really in love with these tasteful yet totally appropriate (and all completely DIY if you wanna) decoration ideas. Check out this spooky wreath, these tissue paper pompoms, this graveyard terrarium, these stuffed ghosts, these adorable gem and beaded spiders, and scroll down on the beaded spiders to find some super cute Halloween inspired posters.

1 comment:

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

Ok first, I am so jealous of your stopper bottles! Lee and I were scouring the city for bottles just like that for our picnic and we came up empty handed. I never thought to check the thrift stores!

Second, I am so happy you found some jeans you like! I also really like the idea of pairing jeans with dresses. Very modern and perfect for fall.

Third, I will totally help you find cute shoes! We should go shopping again!