Friday, August 19, 2011

hey, man!


I got a little box of treasures this week.


Someone's grandma's old recipes. I don't know why anyone would ever give this away.


There are a few intriguing recipes. A lot of recipes for zucchini. I liked the idea of zucchini jam -- from Esther; Quite a few healthy granola-ish recipes, like this one for nut milk; And, of course, a lot of cookies and cakes. Golden honey carrot cookies sounded like something I have to try.

I had to laugh at the salad section. It only contains the jello, whipped cream, and fruit kind of salads, all happily named, "salad." It wasn't until I started reading ingredients that I caught on.


But the best part was what was printed on the back of some of the recipes cut from old newspapers.

Let me quote one of my favourites, a portion devoted to finding penpals.
...Age:14; Birthday: June 12; Favourite colour: purple; Favourite song: Too much Tequila; Favourite singer: me; Favourite actor: Kookie; Favourite saying: Hey, man! Favourite animal: wolf; Food: Spearmint and Juicy Fruit; Drink: H2O; Costume: bobby sox and blue jeans (etc.); Pet peeve: conceited boys like Jimmy F.; Secret ambitions: to become a beatnik, be first human on moon, live to be 21. All kidding aside (against my usual policy), I would like to have lots of penpals. Kookie fans, Elvis fans, horse lovers, and anybody interested in teen talk grab a hunk of wood and lead and scrawl me a line.
So I did some research.


5 comments:

Annie said...

That's awesome! Did you find it at a yard sale?

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

i think the best part has got to be the one looking for pen pals! so very funny! my favorite part is, "secret ambitions:...live to be 21"

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

What an adorable little recipe box! I don't know why anyone would want to be rid of it either. And it's yellow too! Even better! Not a big fan of zucchini, but that jam is sure creative.

Tricky Nag said...

What an awesome find!
I guess it's true what they say about one man's junk.

GALaxy said...

Annie: Actually, my mom found it on a table of items that were being given away and she thought I'd like to look through it. She was right cuz it IS awesome!

Danielle and Dinosaur Toes: I know! I really wish I had the first part of that ad!

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot: I think she must've grown zucchini because there's that many recipes (and zucchini tends to grow like a weed). I agree with you, it's kind of a tasteless vegetable. But I do really love chocolate zucchini cake!

Tricky nag: That applies to so many things!