Wednesday, October 26, 2011

mushroom pie

This is not a recipe. Does that make sense? Like, if you want to make this, you're just gonna have to wing it. Put away your measuring cups and spoons and just go with your gut.

I really wanted to figure it out for you. I was honestly quite prepared to measure it out. But then I got doing it and I really didn't want to dirty a measuring cup for you guys. Does that make me a bad person? Insensitive? Thoughtless? Will you forgive me if I told you I at least dirtied the cheese grater for it (and I really really hate using the cheese grater just cuz I know I'll have to wash it later)?

Well, at any rate, you're just going to have to grow a pair, throw caution to the wind, and cross your fingers because I don't have measurements for you and I never will.

Because this, friends, is another Greek recipe. Yup. And I believe I've already told you at great lengths how nothing is ever measured and if it is, it's measured in a tea cup or a drinking glass. Perhaps I'm turning into a real Greek now...

Greek Mushroom Pie Method

1 package of puff pastry
mushrooms
any white cheese you desire (I've used mozzarella and saganaki cheese)
pepper
1 250 ml container (that's 1 cup to the non-metric) of whipping cream

Unthaw the puff pastry as directed on the package. Unfold and fit into a rectangular baking dish (I used a small one, but literally, you could use any dish you've got). You do not have to use all of the puff pastry. Just use what will fit in the dish you have and fold the edges to form a puff pastry container (if you will).

Wash mushrooms. Chop 'em, slice 'em, cube them, leave them whole for all I care, just make sure you've got enough to at least cover the bottom of the puff pastry cuz that's where they're going.

Grate up your cheese. I will give you a guesstimate of about a cup, but again, it's really going to depend on how large you're making this. Just top the mushrooms with enough cheese so they're (pretty much) covered.

Grind some pepper. Ha ha. That's a Greek joke. It's a euphemism for sex. Grind the pepper if you've got time and then put some pepper on your mushroom pie.

Pour the cream over the whole thing (keeping within the boundaries of your puff pastry). Greek mom used the whole thing, I used the whole thing (minus 3 tablespoons cuz I needed it for the caramel apples), but I really feel like you can get away with less if you were so inclined. It's a little sloppy (see visual above), but that's how it's supposed to be and it's kinda nice cuz the puff pastry crusts can then be dipped in aforementioned juices so you're never going to be eating just plain ol' pastry. Whatever. You decide. If you need some cream for something else, too, just use whatever's left over.

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until it smells amazing and has turned a nice golden colour.

And if you're wondering what to do with any leftover puff pastry dough, just make some awful looking/great tasting turnovers. Cut the dough into squares, spoon on the jam of your choice (I used fig), and fold over diagonally, pinching the edges shut. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until golden and flaky.

Dinner and dessert. Bam!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love winging it with my recipes too... :)

Anna said...

Whatever goes...I hope i can wing this too. Looks absolutely delicious! I'll let you know how this turns out...

Laeli said...

Hell,that's how I normally cook. This shall be right up my alley!
It looks insanely good.
Ha ha grind some pepper, thank you for that. Gonna use it and see what reaction I get from people.

Martina said...

I pretty much wing every thing I make, even if the recipe is in front of me. This looks absolutely delicious, I am definitely going to have to try it out!

Deborah said...

that looks amazingly delicious! Can you mail some to me?

Anonymous said...

The mushroom pie looks so delicious.. and beautiful too :]

GALaxy said...

juventia_jesica: Those are always the ones the turn out the best, too.

Anna: This is ridiculously easy. The first time we made it, we accidentally used phyllo dough (wrong translations!) and it still turned out amazing.

Lael: You'll get no reactions from people! They have no idea. That's the best part!

Martina: I do the same thing. Dinner recipes just weren't made to be followed, right?

TCFO: You can do it! (Besides, you know how our postal system is!)

SKR: Thank you!

Christine knapkins_com said...

Hey Foodies, Idle Wife's Pie recipe has been selected by Knapkins to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/603?source=blog

Anonymous said...

I made this yesterday and it is super delicious! Thanks for sharing! And it's also super easy and cost efficient for a college student like myself! I will definitely be making this again!