Wednesday, May 2, 2012

carrot cake


It was mom's birthday this weekend and for the first time in, I don't know how long, she was actually with us so I decided to make a cake.

The fact that I've been having a terrible craving for carrot cake and cream cheese frosting had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I swear.


I only made a few alterations to this recipe. I cut some of the oil with whatever applesauce I had left which turned out to be a measly quarter of a cup. I wish it would have been more, but I cut the sugar in the frosting a bit to make up the difference and because I like to taste a little more cream cheese tang rather than pure sugar. 

The amount of frosting is perfect for icing between the layers, but I had some leftover white chocolate ganache that I've been desperately wanting to get rid of which I used instead. I kind of wish I hadn't since I ended up with too much cream cheese frosting, so the outside was rather thick and bulky. I stuck some coconut on there to hide it.

Despite all the changes, this cake was so good. Have you ever had the last piece of something and almost wanted to not eat it just so it never ends? That's how I felt when we finally finished this cake. It stays moist for days (and I baked it on one day and iced it the next) and it's carrot-y and cinnamon-y and just perfect. The original called for nuts, but I don't like stuffing a bunch of things into my carrot cake. Some people like raisins and nuts in their carrot cake so that doesn't mean you couldn't add them, I just don't like those additions muddling up the carrots. The coconut, though, was actually quite nice and added a little texture.


{carrot cake}

4 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (part or all applesauce)
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots

Blend the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla together.

Sift or whisk the dry ingredients together.

Add the dry to wet in increments until blended.

Stir in carrots.

Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans and divide the mixture evenly between them. Bake in a 350 oven for around 40-50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool about 10 minutes before attempting to remove from pans.

{cream cheese frosting}

1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
8 ounces (one package) cream cheese, room temperature
3-4 cups confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
coconut or nuts if desired

Blend the butter and cream cheese together until well mixed. Add the sugar in increments until you reach desired sweetness. Frost the cake once well cooled.

1 comment:

Full Cup said...

This cake looks delicious! I am big fan of carrot cake, but there are so many different recipes it can be hard to know how it's really going to turn out. Thank you for posting! I love your blog!:)

xoxo,

Molly Jane

P.S. Stop by and say hello!

www.browneyedcharmer.blogspot.com