Thursday, April 1, 2010

oh and our fence fell down. allll the way down. again.

I've eaten entirely too much ice cream today. I woke up with this terrible I-must-eat-ice-cream-now feeling, so I had ice cream for breakfast and then I felt instantly guilty about it. I'm so ashamed! But then, as if that's not bad enough, I made a second batch of ice cream this afternoon to "get rid of that stupid milk and whipping cream" in the fridge. Cuz what else am I gonna do with that junk? And anyway, then I spent some time licking off the beater. Gah.

But I made up my own recipe for birthday cake ice cream, so when we do get around to eating some out of the freezer (prolly tonight, let's be honest), I'll let you know how it turned out. I was searching for recipes online for a while, but I hated how they added more sugar and more cream and only used a cup of cake mix (wtf am I supposed to do with a half box of cake mix, y'all?) and cooked it and cooled it. Damn. I just want to whip it in a bowl and plunk it in my ice cream maker. Jim Belushi already. Anyway, I feel like I should have gone through the trouble of heating it on the stove cuz it tasted a little powdery, but meh. We'll see what happens after a solid freeze.

On top of that, I had this brilliant plan to make some new pancake recipes today that I've been staring at for months. I've been too lazy to actually go through the trouble of making them early in the morning, and by 'early in the morning' I mean like 10 or 11. I don't sleep in much, but damn if I'm going to start cooking straight away when I get up, and by 10 or 11, I feel like we should be thinking about lunch instead...but then I normally don't bother with lunch and dinner's just around the corner, right? Poor starving Idle Husband. So I thought I'd do them ahead of time so I could just pop them in the toaster over the weekend enabling us to have breakfast like normal people at a normal time instead of subsisting on two bags of chips all day (true story. last weekend. we're so grown up).


Here's the results of that debacle. Stupid carrot cake pancakes. They seemed like such a good idea at the time, but in hindsight, my laziness to shred the carrots into itty bitty bits (along with at least four of my fingertips) created massive recipe failure. The other ones worked out just fine but here's my problem. When do you say, now this is the best most fantastic pancake recipe ever and I'm never making another one!! Does that ever happen? I feel like adding it to my recipe box, but then again, I have at least two in there that are perfectly fine and get the pancake job done. I'm starting to think you really can't reinvent the wheel here.

What else? what else? Oh yeah! Happy Easter! Have a great long weekend!

No comments: