Tuesday, May 3, 2011

spanakopita


I've made a lot of Greek dishes, but I've never made spanakopita. Thankfully, Idle Husband developed a taste for it recently, so I thought I'd make it for a vegetarian night.

This recipe is about as simple as you can get. I know phyllo has a reputation of being difficult to handle, but when you're layering like this, it doesn't really matter if the phyllo dries out a little or cracks a little during the process. Since it's all in multiple layers, no one will even see it. Fool proof!

What I really liked about this is that it's hearty and healthy and it tastes really good straight from the oven and really good straight from the fridge. I had it for two breakfasts, and I know Idle Husband snuck some out of the fridge as a late night snack. Idle Husband eating leftovers cold straight from the fridge? That's really rare, so I guess that means this was good eating!

adapted from here

1 package of phyllo dough, thawed (454 g)
1 package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (300 g)
1 1/2 cups low fat ricotta (or one 425 g tub)
4-8 ounces of low fat feta cheese (I used 4)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons dried dill
1 tsp garlic powder
pepper and Greek seasoning, if you like

Mix the spinach, ricotta, feta, eggs, and spices together in a bowl. If your feta isn't particularly crumbly (like mine was), use a fork to mash it apart.

Grease a glass baking dish (it's best to use one that fits the phyllo dough as closely as possible. Mine fit the phyllo when folded in half and it was 8x11.5" or 2 QT. I wish I'd have used a larger pan so the spinach layer was a little thinner) and layer about half the phyllo sheets into the pan (I used 12 folded in half). Lightly drizzle olive oil on the last phyllo layer and poke some holes in the top with a fork for even cooking.

Spread all of the spinach mixture on top of the phyllo in an even layer. Finally, layer the rest of the phyllo sheets on top of the spinach mixture and again lightly oil the top of the final phyllo sheet. Using a very sharp knife, cut equal portions into your phyllo dough (this makes it easier to portion and slice after cooking). Place into a preheated 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden. Remove and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

That looks delicious! I've never made this from scratch before.

GALaxy said...

Lauren: You should try it! It's so much easier than it looks. And, of course, it is really delicious!