Monday, June 6, 2011

DIY project: fabric scrap wreath

I loved how this wreath looked when I first found it. It has a lot of interest, it's totally easy, and even though it's made with scraps, it still manages to look put together. I particularly loved how customizeable it is. If you want a wreath for Christmas, use Christmas colours. If you want one for year round (as I did), use colours you like or colours that match your house. Whatever you've got will totally work. I didn't have enough scraps to make mine from actual scrap fabric. I used large pieces of fabric I've had sitting around in boxes for years that I hadn't used for anything else and then I cut as much as I needed. I even used bits of crocheted lace from an old antique tablecloth that had holes in it. Anything you've got should work!


This is the hardest part. Use any device you have in your possession to achieve the roundest shape you possibly can. I used a pair of pliers to deal with the hook and then kept pulling and bending until I got a roundish circle. You don't have to go overboard just do your best.


Choose some fabrics that you like and that work well together. I think it's best if they're not all matchy-matchy. It adds to the uniqueness.


Cut your strips about 1 1/2 inches wide and 7 inches long. Skinnier or shorter is fine. If the fabric scrap was wider it was harder to tie onto the wire and if it was longer, it just didn't look quite right. Too floppy.


All you have to do now is tie them on. I guess some people can do the random thing, but I'm not one of those people. So first, I tied on the fabric I had the most of (the above blue). Then I went back with the other colours and filled the wreath in that way. I kept holding it up and judging where to put each colour so it looked kind of random but with some semblance of order. I like to have things even. That's my OCD talking.

I swear, you'll be doing this for a while, and you'll be just about finished with the bulk of your fabric, and then you'll think, this is never going to look right. Here's another junky craft project I can stuff in the bin. But then, all of a sudden, it all comes together, and you end up with something like this:


Pretty sweet, hey?

I felt like it still needed something more, so I used this quick and easy tutorial for foam flowers to add a little something extra to my wreath.


Besides, I had all that craft foam leftover from the stamp project and then I spotted some wavy scissors at another dollar store (which I've always wanted anyway), so there really wasn't any reason not to make them from foam. Although, I did consider doing some felt flowers. They'd also be brilliant.


Cut a loose spiral from the foam. Don't get all serious about this. You're crafting! It's fun!

Starting at the smaller end, roll it up to resemble a flower like so:

For whatever reason, I was not going to start up my glue gun for this. I was in total glue gun boycott. So, like a dummy, my first thought was to thread a twist tie through all the layers so I'd be able to twist tie it onto the wreath. Keyword there: thread. So when that was terribly unsuccessful, I got out a needle and some embroidery thread and used that instead. Duh. Just make sure to push the needle through all of the different layers and the rose will definitely stay in its rosey shape. To cover up the thread in the middle (and add a little extra), I whipped on a button. Easy.

Plus I got to dump out and go through my cute little bear button jar.


Tie the flowers on wherever and however you like and cut the threads short so you can't see them.


Stand back and marvel at your creation! The pictures really don't do it justice. It looks amazing on our front door (I didn't necessarily try to match it with the house and door, but it matches really well anyway). Plus I knocked out two DIYs in one craft! Score!

{the rest of the DIY list is here}

10 comments:

Laeli said...

OHOHOH! I love that! I have a pattern-would you call it a pattern?-for a wreath using felted squares but this one looks so pretty and fancy compared to that one. Those flowers are the perfect touch:)

Unknown said...

LOVE this! it just so happens I have a round wire frame that I was going to throw out - not now! can't wait to get started on my wreath!

GALaxy said...

Aww thanks Lael! I'm curious about your felted square wreath. You should make it and post it!

Barb: And the best part about it is that you'll have a completely unique, personalized wreath made with fabrics you love!

Jeannie said...

beautiful! thank you for the tutorial.

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

Awesome! I love the addition of the doily. It really makes it special.

GALaxy said...

Jeannie: You're welcome!

Lindsey: Yeah and the doily scraps were something I had no idea how to use otherwise but I just couldn't bear to throw them away.

Amber Hayes said...

I make fabric wreaths and sell them in a variety of sizes, color combinations and themes for nurseries, front doors, and home decor of all kinds. I like your take in this version as well! =)

Amy said...

about how much fabric did you use?

GALaxy said...

I couldn't give you a specific amount, Amy, since I didn't measure anything out. I cut strips until I got tired of cutting (which was pretty darn quick, actually). I can tell you that it wasn't enough and I've since taken it down and added even more (since I had extra strips already cut for something else). Definitely get yourself a big pile. I don't think you could ever have too much!

Anonymous said...

Love this wreath so much that I added it to pinterest and then made one for me this weekend! Thanks for the tutorial.
http://christenheartspinterest.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/fabric-wreath-with-felt-flowers/