Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The only bug I'll allow to winter inside my home

It's so frosty here today! We're getting lots of fog at night which ends up as hoar frost in the morning. It's not very cold, either, which is nice. It makes me appreciate the beauty a bit more. (Also, so you know, if there's fog, three months later, there will be moisture. That's one of many little Alberta weather rules my mom says all the time. Strangely enough, they almost always come true! So those of you who think Alberta is crazy for changing weather, I have to tell you, it usually lets you know what it's going to do in advance -- if you know what to look for!)

I was doing laundry yesterday when I found a little friend on my arm. He was still very sleepy, so I carefully brought him upstairs and put him on one of my Christmas cacti (or is it cactuses?).
He's not there anymore, so I assume he found another place to nap until spring arrives.

Last night was vegetarian night again. I made baked tofu. I've never cooked with it before, so this idea of ours has really made me expand my food horizons and try new things. I have no idea what actually goes with tofu, so I made a bunch of other finger foods and salads. It was probably the most successful vegetarian night yet! We were actually full after dinner! Whoa! The tofu wasn't really the highlight, though. It tasted like taste-less egg (if that makes any sense). I tried marinating it with Greek seasonings and either they didn't take, or they needed to marinate a lot longer than 2 hours. Strangely enough, it tasted really good dipped in tzatziki (or the tzatziki was just really good -- it should be! It's mine!) so we were both pretty happy overall. I also had a sweet potato that was starting to grow leaves, so I made some fries. Sweet potatoes are the best, aren't they? I never eat regular ones anymore.
It looks like some strange horned animal, doesn't it?

No comments: