Monday, October 31, 2011

blue, orange, and black themed halloween candies


This year, in an effort to reduce the amount of Halloween candies we consume, I decided to get all of our candy at Bulk Barn.

I thought it would be a good way to minimize our intake cuz I'd be able to get random weird candies instead of the really delicious, hard-to-resist chocolate bars we're usually prone to buying (and then eating before Halloween and then turning all our lights off and avoiding trick-or-treaters altogether).

I was very underwhelmed by their selection. I was hoping for more odd varieties of candies (at reasonable prices). Unfortunately, what they had was either pretty typical (I can get Oh Henry!s and Hershey mixed chocolates anywhere -- shocking, I know), pretty expensive, or neat but unwrapped (boo! I wished for little packages of chocolate rocks). At any rate, I thought I'd share what we got.


Admittedly, I got the idea for fortune cookies from The Art of Doing Stuff, but I'd like to think that if I'd have seen them of my own free will, I would have gotten some anyway. I did think these would be kind of exciting for kids. I remember I was always excited to get one. It was such a random thing to have Chinese food and even more random to get a cookie at the end (not all restaurants give them, you know). Personally, from the first ten cookies I had in my life, I saved the little fortune inside and pinned it up in my room somewhere. I just hope these weren't a mistake and kids don't think we're trying to get rid of our old take-out cookies. 


Obligatory Halloween gumballs. Personally, I hate these. I don't equate gum with candy. Gum's not for that reason. If I'm going to have calories, I'd rather have some chocolate not some dumb flavourless chew for no reason. (aka perfect candies to have in the house before Halloween.)


I also got these square chocolate caramels. I liked them for their dark brown colour, and I hoped they'd be delicious but they're only just okay. Another perfect score for the kiddies that minimizes adult temptation.


These are just chewy caramels, but I really liked the packaging and the name, St. Catharine kisses. I decided I should have the colour theme of orange, black, and blue after seeing these.


I rounded out the blue with some cookies and creme Hershey Kisses. These are delicious but there aren't that many of them (I purposely got half a scoop). And, strangely enough, I'm more likely to leave them since it'd be rather noticeable if I dipped into them all day (ah, tricking my brain, I am).


Oh yes and I'm adding these fake vampire teeth to the mix, too. I bought a package of them (for $1) thinking I might use them for the door monster, but I couldn't figure out how exactly to work them in. I hope I'll be able to get rid of all of them tonight!

What I would really like to hand out are homemade treats like cookies, popcorn balls or caramel apples, but I'm pretty sure that stuff (if it's handed out at all these days) would promptly go in the garbage.

Are you giving anything different for Halloween this year?

No comments: