Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween stragglers


As much as I enjoy drooling over bento boxes, I don't think I'm cut out for that either.

I had this weird idea for Idle Husband's breakfast one night last week while I was drifting off to sleep. I don't know what made me think of this. Sometimes weird ideas just come to me and I can't move on until I try them (one time, I predreamt about drawing a spider with a top hat in a hot air balloon, and then couldn't stop thinking about it, so I had to wake up at 1 a.m. just to make it a reality). Anyway, I concocted these for his breakfast on Halloween morning. I originally envisioned them as being mummies, but when I finished, I realized they could pass for ninjas, too. So whatever works, I guess. They were actually pretty simple to make and not that horribly time consuming. All I did was use a gingerbread man cutter to cut the bread. Then I smeared on some peanut butter and using a vegetable peeler, peeled off thin strips of carrot for the wrapping. That was the time consuming part. I eventually used some scissors to get the carrot rounded properly. The eyes are craisins and the blood is some red jam. The knives (or machetes, if you like) came after I realized I should do something with the left-over bread other than eating it. They weren't in my original dream plan, though.

That's it. I'm officially over Halloween and all foods themed or pumpkin flavoured. Thank goodness. Now I can focus on the whole eating-right-acting-like-an-adult thing again.

No comments: