Monday, November 9, 2009

Meatload

Idle Husband's favourite dinner is meatloaf. I try to make it every two weeks not just because he loves it, but also because it's kinda like making one large hamburger so it's extra easy for me. Mom recently brought me the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, so I was kinda pondering grinding some chicken in it, though I didn't really know what to do with ground chicken. I looked around the 'net, but my mind kept screaming meatloaf, so with no recipe at hand, I thought one up myself.

I had the idea to flavour it like a mini Thanksgiving dinner all in one, but the next time I do it I'll omit the stuffing and cranberries (since I used what I had left from Thanksgiving, so I probably won't buy more of those) and try making it like my traditional meatloaf minus the ketchup (I don't think ketchup and chicken should be together). I'm curious to see how that turns out instead.

Anyway, this has turned into Idle Husband's new favourite thing and the first dinner I've ever made where he's devoured the leftovers (without prodding) -- he ate it cold out of the fridge, had it the next day for lunch, and if we'd still had some left, he probably would have requested it on a sandwich for work. Success!



Cranberry Chicken Meatloaf

4 raw chicken breasts, ground (Since this has such festive flavours, I definitely think ground turkey would work as well.)
1 box prepared Stove Top stuffing (I used turkey cuz that's what I had)
1/4 cup chopped onion
4 chopped mushrooms
1 egg
1 clove garlic, pressed
salt/pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tblsp cranberry sauce (whole berry)

Combine first ten ingredients in a bowl (you can put the cranberries in some hot water to plump them before adding them if you like. Sometimes I do that with dried fruits and sometimes I don't). Mix well. I find it so much easier to use my hands so I can squish everything together. That way I'm sure it's well combined. Press into a loaf pan or shape into a loaf shape. Combine the brown sugar and cranberry sauce. Pour on top of the loaf making sure it's covered.
Bake at 375 until a meat thermometer registers at 165 F (or above). This might have taken 45-60 minutes. I have a digital thermometer that beeps when it gets to the desired temperature so I use that for meat (I don't know how I ever survived without it before). You'll definitely be able to smell it once it gets close to being done. Just make sure it's cooked through, no one wants a raw chicken middle! Serve with more cranberry sauce if desired.

No comments: