Wednesday, March 24, 2010

soon someone's going to notice that my go-to meal is always a mixture of mushrooms, shrimp, and onions

As per usual, yesterday I had no idea what to make for supper. Stupid vegetarian day. Sometimes I've managed to plan ahead and other times I feel like I'm scrambling around on the interwebs desperately looking for something until the last minute. Last night was one of those nights.

Just in time, though, I remembered I'd bought some puff pastry several weeks ago on a whim (it was on sale with phyllo pastry) and hadn't really planned anything for it. Thankfully it only takes 2 hours to unthaw and it had recipes printed on the inside of the box along with different methods for rolling or cutting. Naturally, I didn't have the ingredients for the recipes on the box (big surprise), so I just faked it and used only their method.

The result was pretty good, actually. I cooked up some onion, garlic, mushrooms, shredded carrot (haha Idle Husband! Didn't know you were eating carrots, did you!), and little shrimps with some spices. I coated the sheet of puff pastry with shredded cheddar cheese, layered on the shrimp mixture and rolled the whole thing up, roulade-like, stuck it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so, until it was chill enough to slice, then sliced off some little medallions. Served with a salad, they were actually pretty tasty.


What I learned: Don't crowd puff pastry! I thought it wasn't that hot an idea at the time, but I wanted to use the toaster oven since the big one had already been on and turned off once. Like the computer, once it's been turned off, it's not allowed to be turned on ever again until the next day. Those are the rules.

I will admit to using a tad too much salt. I'm going to go ahead and blame the shrimp or the cheese also because they contribute salt to a recipe. (Disclaimer: I have no idea whether they do for reals, but in my mind they do.) Whatever. It wasn't like eating a salt lick, they were still good.

Anyway, I'll probably use this method again, maybe with different fillings, maybe for meat days. I just like the idea that you can slop whatever the heck you want together, roll it up, and bake it and it's gonna be great because everyone likes flakey pastries. Plus it looks all fancy and professional which makes me look like cook extraordinaire! Coolio!

No comments: