Wednesday, April 27, 2011

rice pudding popsicles

south cooking lake



I don't know why, but I've been thinking about this recipe since I first saw it last summer. Summer would have been a more acceptable time to make popsicles, but I didn't feel like it then. I don't know why, but I always feel like eating frozen things when there's snow on the ground. Maybe it's because I technically shouldn't want it.

I can't say as I would ever make these again. I'm not sure I'm 100% enjoying the chewy rice bits, but I do really love the cinnamon vanilla pudding taste. It's nice and refreshing in that, "I totally wasn't expecting this out of a popsicle" kind of way.




Also, don't be shy about bringing the whole tray outside while you soak up some much needed sun. Snow's finally good for something.

recipe adapted from Saveur

3 cups milk (I used powdered)
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup short or medium grain rice (I used brown)
2 sticks cinnamon
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz; I used a bit less than this amount)
2 cups water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and 1 1/4 cups of water to a simmer. Add rice and cinnamon sticks and cook until rice is tender (stirring occasionally, about 20-30 minutes).

Mix the sweetened condensed milk with the 2 cups of water until completely combined. Set aside.

Remove the cinnamon sticks from the rice and add the condensed milk mixture, vanilla, and salt. Simmer until some of the liquid has been absorbed. (Saveur says 10-15 minutes, but I swear mine took forever).

Remove from heat, add cinnamon and allow to cool just about to room temperature.

Pour liquid into popsicle moulds until about three-quarters full. Use a spoon to add rice to each mould. If your moulds are the type that need sticks, let the popsicles freeze for an hour before inserting the sticks, then freeze until completely solid. Overnight is probably the best idea.

{note} This made 16 popsicles plus a lot of leftover rice. I would probably cut the amounts of milk and rice in half if I were to make it again.

7 comments:

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

What a cool idea! They look awesome and I love those forms. Where did you get the forms?

laura said...

such an interesting recipe! i can see why it stuck with you. i'm going to save this to my online cookbook so that when i finally get a popsicle tray i'll be ready!

GALaxy said...

Lindsey: I got the form from Value Village! I was so damned excited to find it cuz I'd been looking for one exactly like it. And it had never been used! Still had the plastic on it and everything. I'm pretty sure you can buy the exact same one online. I looked into it before I found this one. The hardest part was finding sticks, actually. I had to buy a humongous load of them.

Laura: I've been spotting popsicle trays in all sorts of shapes and sizes everywhere right now. It's the perfect time to shop for one!

Unknown said...

I love these! What a creative post too!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

I love rice pudding, what a fabulous idea!

Ruth Jantzen said...

I love rice pudding, but I can't help wonder if the frozen texture of the bits of rice are a little off-putting (off=pudding?)
What about pureeing the rice so that it blended better in a frozen state? Any comments on this? Or do people treat the rice kernels as if they are chunks of strawberry in strawberry ice cream? Ruth

GALaxy said...

Ruth: The rice bits kind of threw me off and I generally like weird things like that. I suspect that since I used brown rice, my kernels were a little harder and crunchier; therefore, more noticeable than if I had used white rice. Maybe a short grain or arborio rice (something best for risotto) would have a better texture. You could probably mash or blend the kernels, but I haven't tried it and I haven't heard anything about it. I would think that blending them would add to the creaminess of the dessert, so I don't think the idea could go wrong. ;)